Saturday, February 18, 2017

Almost Time

The seed catalogs have been arriving in the mail which means it's almost time to start ordering seeds!

Normally I just go to the garden center at Freddy's or maybe even shop at Yard 'N Garden Land. It's awfully convenient to just pop into the store and pick up some seeds. There really aren't many places to get "specialty" seed varieties so I'll be making a list of my favorites and then pouring over the catalogs and checking out where to get the majority of my seeds for this year's garden extravaganza!

These are the ones that I have been carrying with me in my bag...



All are "local" except for Johnny's. I am acquainted with Territorial & Johnny's and look forward to making some selections from both of those. Uprising Seeds is located in Bellingham, WA and Siskiyou Seeds is in Williams, OR. Uprising has a cabbage variety that is so awesome it is called Filderkraut

(photo credit Uprising Seeds)
According to the catalog these cabbage heads can grow up to 2 feet tall and 1 foot wide!! Man oh man,  I want to grow those in my garden! I can hardly imagine just how large they will get in my garden, but all I know is that I might be making a lot of sauerkraut! It's time to start looking for REALLY BIG fermenting crocks!!

As soon as the seeds are ordered and the weather improves slightly, I'm gonna get out into the hoop house and start making some soil blocks and getting my seeds started! My gardening buddy, partner in crime - Mary will be itchin' to get things started too. I have a feeling that the hoop house may not be big enough for the both of us...hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment