Friday, August 11, 2017

Book Collection

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to books. I LOVE books! All sorts too, but my favorite right now would be ANYTHING that has to do with gardening, homesteading growing things to eat etc. Here is just a sampling of what I have added recently...

The book that I had when I thought I would be a flower farmer. A dream I had after a couple of years living on our property:


My original copy was a soft-back book that I probably purchased soon after it was published. There was a time that I thought that maybe I wouldn't do a flower farm so I think the book was given away or donated or something. I now have the Kindle version which is handy. 

Now that we are doing chickens for eggs I am thinking of raising chickens for meat. So, the next book that I have on my table and on my Kindle:


This is a nice little book which is a pretty quick read and includes all the instructions on how to get one of those chicken tractors built. The author, John Suscovich, also includes all sorts of tidbits about chickens and raising them.The other great thing is that there is a lot of good stuff about farming. Really, just reading the book makes something than can be so daunting into something that is totally doable. Even if you were to just grow veggies and some fruit/nut trees and raise a few chickens for eggs alone. John Suscovich can be found on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and his website of course.

My latest book is by Rebecca Thistlethwaite titled The New Livestock Farmer. This is one of the speakers that we stumbled upon at the Mother Earth News Fair last weekend. We were looking for a place to land for an hour before the presentation we planned to sit in on.

Her talk was called: From Hoof to Plate: Business Essentials for the pastured meat farmer. So much information packed into an hour. So much that her talk peaked my interest and I decided that I MUST get one of her books...a signed copy of her book no less!


One of my all time favorite gardening shows that I would try to catch on the weekends was Gardening Naturally with Eliot Coleman. I didn't realize at the time how much of a gardening icon he really was until recently. I think that I may have had his Organic Gardening book, but I don't remember. A couple of years ago I was looking around for new books to add to my gardening "library" and came across this on Amazon.


Four-Season Harvest?! Whaaaat??? Even though I added this to my collection of books, I didn't refer to it as much when I decided to plant veggies early last fall. For me it was all about trial and error. Learn as you go and if it doesn't work then go to the books. Seems to work for me :)

The last book I want to share is by a French Canadian dude - Jean Martin Fortier. His gardening style is very much non-mechanized. No loud machinery, no gas powered anything - except for his BCS tractor - which he uses for specific purposes other than tilling check that out HERE. To see a video that was featured by Justin Rhodes on his Great American Farm tour go HERE.


There are so many books out there, but I need to figure out how to store what books I do have - which reaches to other things unrelated to gardening/farming. Seriously need to figure out how to incorporate a library-ish area in my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment