Friday, December 21, 2018

Year In Review

This will be so not interesting...I haven't had many thoughts recently and quite honestly - I've been tired. So let's look back on the highlights of each month of 2018:

JANUARY

A visit to Cascade Meadows Farm! Go HERE to read about our visit to meet the American Guinea Hog. Before we even saw these pigs I was 99% sure that the AGH was the breed that I wanted to go with. It was a very good visit!

Farmer Jason
Hungry Babies
FEBRUARY

Ever since the Jersey Giants and the Aussies started laying I have been thinking about adding more to the flock. Tom was really hoping for a chicken that wasn't black, but we ended up with a Mottle Java which are black & white - we are half way there. That post is HERE.

 Now that we have sixteen layers I am looking to add another half dozen chickies in the spring. There is a purpose for a new mini flock. In addition to a few extra eggs, I am thinking I would like a small flock to move around more than the big girls. To work different parts of the gardens at different times of the season.
Java Girls 3-ish days old
MARCH


Gathering chicken tractor supplies
Apple Trees
We whacked the trees to stay small
This was the month that I took some vacation and we did some work on the Chicken Tractor - we got a lot started on it at least. Go HERE for a post on the tractor build

One of the things I wanted to do is add some apple trees - so we made a trip to Tsugawa's nursery in Woodland and found three different varieties we wanted to try out. The guy at the nursery thought we were nuts because we wanted to whack the stock down to around eighteen inches. Well, the joke's on him because they actually developed blossoms and then leaves. There were even some apples on them (photos later).


APRIL
A HA Apple Blossoms!
Magpie Babies
Java Girls out on grass
The boys turn one year old
It was surprising to see that the apple tree stubs actually blossomed and developed leaves! I wanted to take a photo and send it to the grump at Tsugawa's. What a hater...hahaha...

When Shel-bot started to attack Lenny I did the research and then figured out that Mr. Romeo needed some girls. So I looked and looked for Magpie Ducklings and there were none available. I got lucky and was able to get an order of six ducklings in at Orchard Feed. We ended up with 7 as the hatchery included an extra and one duckling can't live alone. Score!

Since the Magpie's needed a brooder we got the Java's out into the newly finished Chicken Tractor. They seemed pretty happy to be out of the brooder. I kind of didn't pay nearly as much attention to this bunch of chickies and I felt bad about it. Once they were outside, it was easier to spend more time with them. 

The original waterfowl turned ONE year old! 

This POST covers most of the month 

MAY
Rex & Fiona join the farm
After a couple of weeks the Magpies were moved to the Hoop House
After a couple more weeks the Magpies were out in the tractor
We let the chickens do the work
We said good-bye to our buddy

Pigs come home HERE - ducks move out & hoodlums meet ducklings HERE - the chickens do the work and we said good-bye to Mr. Decaf HERE.

We had the happiest thing and the saddest thing happen this month. Both Tom and I were completely excited about the pigs coming home! They added that extra specialness to our farm. Then a couple of weeks later we were devastated when Tom took our buddy cat to the vet only to find out that he was too sick to be treated. He had to be put down. I didn't get to say a proper good-bye to him...which makes me sad. Mr. Decaf was truly the BEST cat anyone could have ever hoped for. Grateful that he was my cancer cat - the creature that made me forget that I had treatments even for just a couple of minutes. 

JUNE

Itty-bitty Apple
Birthday Hair
WHAT?!
We got Apples! I was so happy to see that the severe whacking didn't affect the trees too much!

It had been a couple of years since I last had my hair colored in a funky way, so on my birthday I had the tips of my hair colored BLUE. It was fun, but then I realized that I didn't want to keep up with keeping the color fresh, so I let the color go after a couple of months. Now, after 6 months, I actually like the bleached parts of my hair, but all it is now is damaged hair. Time to figure out what to do next!

She flew the coop...I still can't believe that we had a pullet make her way OUT of the corral, down the driveway and across the street without getting snatched by a predator of some sort or hit by a car or just plain lost. Go HERE to see exactly what happened that day.

JULY
Twenty-Five meaties
The first day I noticed no chaos during feeding time
REALLY?! 
On the 5th Tom and I made our way to Tangent, OR to pick up our very first batch of Freedom Rangers. If anyone is in our area and looking for a hatchery, I highly recommend Jenks Hatchery. They have been in the business for over 100 years and are family owned and operated. Our chicks were very hardy from the beginning and grew to a processing weight of 3.5 to 4.5 pounds in 11 weeks.

The Javas finally integrated into the original flock this month. Not only did they start hanging out together - several of them decided to start laying their eggs underneath the nesting box cart. Not very convenient girls!


AUGUST
Me and a Ranger
Mother Earth News Fair
I just wanted a photo of the new Magpie ducks, but got a photo bomb from Shelly
This dude started hanging around. We call him Blanco
A surprise vine bearing a squash?
Tom and one of the Rangers
August, just like the previous months, was busy. The Mother Earth News fair comes of Albany and this was our third year attending. It's a nice day trip as Albany isn't far from us. The highlight of the fair was going to listen to Meredith Leigh talk about butchering a half a hog. We did attend a couple of other workshops before heading home for the day. My Mother Earth News report is HERE.

We sort of gained a farm cat. This little guy comes and goes and does some pest patrol around the property and leaves all of the birds alone. He is welcome to come and go as he pleases. He might get food now and then. We call him Blanco - not really clever, but at least I know who Tom is talking about when he is talking about a cat...there's more than one cat that cruises through. Blanco actually will hang out long enough to get some attention...and some food if he is interested.

SEPTEMBER

At the Clark Conservation District in Battle Ground
Poultry Processing kit from the Conservation District in Battle Ground
The Freedom Rangers last move
Whole Chicken!
Cantaloupe
Flower Garden gone out of control
Pretty decent vegetable garden
Silly Lenny the Poser
Pickles!
This was a big month! The garden did great this year (thank you very much chickens). We didn't grow any pickling cukes - so off to Wilco during their produce sale - the surprise squash in the garden actually turned out to be surprise cantaloupe (thank you very much chickens).

The BIG project for September - processing the meaties. Doing this one thing alone took our food growing attitude to a whole new level. We now have a few whole chickens in the freezer and some other items that I was able to process over the last few months.

OCTOBER

One of the last photos that I took of Lenny
The Fab Four
This month was a month of loss. It started with Mr. Lenny and then a couple of days later half of the Magpies - including Shelly. Even a couple of months later we miss Mr. Lenny and Mr. Shelly. The four Magpies that are still with us more than make up for the others, but we rather liked our waterfowl gang. That story is HERE.

NOVEMBER

The piggies are happy with their new forage
Our lone Freedom Ranger
This was a great month! I had a lot of time off and spent very little time doing stuff with the critters. However, I did decide to move the Dynamic Duo, all by myself - for that I am pretty darn proud of myself. The netting was all messed up and that took longer than luring Rex & Fiona across the driveway and to the other side of the property.

We decided to keep one of the Rangers. Thankfully this one is a female...she was just so cute as a chick AND very different than the others. She had a racing stripe down her back and the cutest eyes. This girl is laying eggs now. It would be about the right time.

At a couple of weeks old Cleo was already wearing make-up.
DECEMBER

The lucky one
Farmer Kirk getting ready for the shot
Oooh...baby piggy!
The seed catalogs are starting to come in!
Already planning
This month has gone fast and I can't believe that Christmas is just a few days away! A couple of weeks ago Tom and I made our way back to Cascade Meadows to learn about processing a hog - from the kill to cutting the carcass into primal cuts. Seriously, this did not bother me as much as I thought it would. When he shot the pig, I don't think I flinched. When she slumped I though, "Oh, that must have been a good shot"

Anyway, it was a good experience and we got to come home with some pasture raised pork. Tom seems to think that he would be able to process a pig when it comes to it. I guess we'll see.

This month I received my first two seed catalogs. Seed Savers is my favorite with all of the heirloom seeds that they have to choose from. Baker Creek - the only thing that I ordered from them would be the Saffron Crocus from earlier this year. They bloomed by the way.

2018 was full of so many good things and a couple of sad moments, but we are grateful for how God has blessed our year both on and off the farm. 2019 can only get better!

Happy Merry Christmas!!

Live Christmas Tree - Our new thing to do

No comments:

Post a Comment