Tuesday, May 4, 2021

May Homestead Challenge

Today's homestead challenge topic is fences. Where do I start?

In the beginning, before there were critters we decided to build a Privacy Fence. This would allow us to work in the yard where I had four garden boxes without anyone checking out the activities in the yard.

This is the privacy fence a couple of years ago - when we added a fence around my garden to keep the feathered creatures out. 

Once we added chickens and ducks we found that we had some free range chickens and my goal was to keep them away from the garden. I first used some short fence/netting that I ordered from Premier1 fencing. It worked fine for the first season, but I really needed a real fence that meant business and would keep the chickens and ducks out. So a couple of years ago we (Tom) put in this welded wire fence around the garden. I think it looks pretty good. 

We also need to use a variety of Premier1 fencing products to keep the chickens/geese/pigs within their areas. For the most part the fence works. Especially if we use the solar chargers on them. The Premier fencing/netting is great because it allows us to move our critters around the farm and installs and pulls up pretty easily. This is like an advertisement for Premier1 - check them out they have all sorts of stuff!

The latest fence project would be along the front of part of our property to keep the stinker-marinker piggies on our side of the road and not on the other side. 
This fence also extend on the other side of the driveway and in front of the house. It's pretty effective and it was worth to time and money to get it installed. We are more at peace with leaving the house to run errands and what not. The perk is that I no longer receive texts from neighbors saying that some critter is out and about wandering around.

I'm thankful for our farm, but even more thankful for fences!

No comments:

Post a Comment