Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Fifty Percent

The Magnificent 7 resting in the shade
I have noticed over the last week or so that the ducks are starting to form their own little groupings.

The first grouping would be of Lenny & Shelly and Shelly's little girlfriend Phyllis. They are almost always together. Although there are times when Phyllis decides that she wants to hang with the other Magpies, but she tends to get bullied a little - so then she usually makes her way back to the hooligans.

Grouping #2 would be an unnamed duo who is usually off by themselves (except at meal time). They do not have names because I haven't had any inspiration where they are concerned.

Group #3 - well, this is an interesting group. This group includes the remaining ducks. At first I only noticed the ONE drake. He doesn't sport a cap like most of the others, but a smaller spot toward the back of his head. Anyway, I thought "Wow, this one has three girls..." Oh, and I named this one. Tom was reading about Tropical Storm Gordon and I thought - YES...for some reason the name Gordon fits. It's an old name and we do have Leonard, Sheldon and Phyllis, so not really out of place. So, I thought he was the only other Drake. 

Until....

We were out taking care of the critters before dinner last night and I saw Group #3 and then I spied the telltale sign...

This curved feathers means something
A curved tail feather. This is the identifier for a male duck.

And one of the three that I thought were all girls ended up being another Drake.

Oh fine. 

So, of the Eight Magpie Ducks that we have, which includes the patriarch Shelly, four are drakes.

Sigh.

OH well, Farm Life with waterfowl is the Best Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment