Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Life and Death

The harsh reality of farm life.

Out of 25 Freedom Rangers we are now, nearly 6 weeks into this adventure, down to 17 eating machines.



Let's break this down. Of the 8 chicks that were "lost" one decided to fly the coop (for lack of a better explanation). That one was totally our bad.

To make going in and out of the chicken tractor easier on us during feeding time. I  suggested that a piece of fence be installed - kind of like when the Magpie Squad was living in the tractor.  Otherwise those tricksey little birds would get out and run around as they already had done on more than one occasion. Also, every now and then we let them get out and check out the courtyard - but only under our supervision.

Yeah, I'm a hardass.

Rightfully so, the Sunday before this last Sunday, when it was a bazillion degrees outside. We had gone out to check on the critters. I decided to open the tractor door to let them roam a little and then after a few minutes I decided I needed some AC time. Yep, the Rangers were still out.

When I remembered it must have been at least an hour later, maybe more...I immediately went out and shoo'd them back in and called it good.

Later on, while doing the evening chores, both of us at separate times tried to take a head count. Most of the time I landed on 24, but there were a couple of times that I came up with 25. When Tom gave them their food and their were somewhat stationary, he came up with 24.

DANG!

Oh well, I guess he/she wanted to live up to his/her name...Freedom Ranger.

We have been diligent since then with the time that they get to leave the safety of the tractor to the fenced courtyard right outside their door. They get to come out and forage a bit, but once the food goes in so do they.

On Thursday or Friday of last week Tom discovered that a couple of the Rangers had died.

Oh...hmmm...what happened?

Since then there were a couple more, but on Monday not only were there dead chicks there were a couple of sickly chicks. So we quickly took them away from the seemingly vibrant and healthy chicks and put them in the brooder overnight. They were no longer in the poo, but then they also were not doing well.

The next morning we were surprised to see that they made it through the night. That was short-lived as the more sickly one finally gave up in the morning and the not so sickly one late afternoon.

The remaining 17 are pretty lively though, so we have hope that they will make it to processing day let alone, 6 weeks. I knew that there would be loss, but 7 of them dying, that was surprising.

Oop...hold the press I just did a quick google search...

Evidently around the 5-6 week mark high protein feed diets start to catch up with the little stinkers. So in essence, we have overfed the birds and their little bodies couldn't keep up. I was kind of right then thinking that their little hearts could not keep up with the rate of their growth. Also, I had read in a couple of places where other folks had a problem and that they experienced loss at a time that didn't seem right.

So, I think what we'll need to do with the next round of chicks is start restricting feed around 4 weeks and only feeding during the day. With this batch we were allowing 24/7 feeding up until the deaths started happening. Now that it has been a few days of taking the feeder out, we have noticed that the stinkers are doing better.

This morning I was trying to decide if continuing to raise Freedom Rangers or even the Cornish Cross would still be the right thing to do. I even explored the heritage breeds, the slower growing chickens and decided on the Orpington. However, I think that we can still do the Freedom Rangers and still order from the hatchery that is not far from us. The Freedom Ranger has a grow out rate of 11-12 weeks, which is quite predictable. The Cornish Cross grow out in 8 weeks, but that's just too soon.

Yes, I am THAT confident that the next batch will be better.

Oh how I hate this type of learning experience. However, if we don't have a fail here and there, we'll never learn anything.

Despite the challenges that we have had the past week I am still convinced that this life is the best and I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment