Tuesday, April 18, 2017

We DID It!

Black Jersey Giant Babies
After visiting Thrifty Feed & Garden during my lunch break yesterday I thought it would be best to contact Pioneer Feed Co. in Ridgefield, just 5 miles from our house. I had hoped that they would get back to me with the information I was looking for, but they did not. I ended up doing a little research of the chicks that they had received and made an informed decision once I saw what was available.

It only took me a few minutes to change out of my work clothes and we were off!  There were 4 different breeds available and a big ol' tub of turkeys. In addition to the Black Jersey Giant chicks there were Welsummers, Black SexLinks and some meat birds and Bronze and White Turkeys. According to the schedule on the website the BJG chicks arrived on the 14th, however she said that they were a week old and pretty hardy, so I'm wondering if the schedule on the website is a little off. It really doesn't matter because the point of the trip was to find way young chicks and not 3 or 4 week old chicks - ones that have almost no chickie fuzz anymore.

So after a brief answer and question time (Tom had questions) I wanted to know how old they were and that was about it. We (I) decided that we should get 10 chicks (as opposed to Tom's 6 or 8) I figure that if we are going to go all in with the chickens let's be serious and get a double digit amount. OMG - they are SO cute!!



We arrived home and got them all set up in their super spacious deluxe accommodations and spent some time watching them and making sure that they "found" their water and feeder. Once one finds one, most of the others will figure it out. Well, except for the ones that are already starting to scratch like an adult and move their bedding around. Dinner happened and then I did my hoop house chores before watching the babies a little more. So fun!

I got over them a little quicker than Tom did and went in to get into my evening routine while he stayed out to observe them a little longer.


I'm so glad that he is excited about these little ladies (hoping for a rooster). He watched as they were sunning themselves under the lamp and how one would tunnel underneath the huddle and pop up in the middle of the bunch. Then just their little antics be-bopping around the brooder. He even went out to check on them when he got up this morning. I have to be honest here, I woke up and thought about them and hoped that they were doing alright, but then I went right back to sleep!

These little ones will definitely change the morning and evening routine for us, but in the end when they finally start to lay eggs it will totally be worth it!

This is what I have learned about this breed:


  • They are slow to mature, so they could start laying eggs as early as 6 months, but could take longer.
  • They are a dual purpose bird. Once their egg production slows down we'll process them. 
  • They were originally devleoped to replace the turkey as a table bird.
  • Roosters can reach an impressive weight of 15 pounds.
  • Hens can get up to 10 pounds.
  • Jersey Giants can lay during the winter season.
  • They are docile
Overall, this was a good choice...and really the only choice since we wanted young chicks. There are some 2 month old pullets available from a family not far, so we plan to get a few of those to make sure that we achieve our goal of having egg layers this year!

But first...


This needs to be completed. Soon...it will be soon. Maybe even by the end of the month, if the wheels arrive in timely fashion. Come on Northern Tool!!

No comments:

Post a Comment