Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Little Ladies

This is the chickies third day with us and it seems like they have grown a lot in the last couple of days. I don't know if they grow THAT quick....

They do a lot of this though...


They all settled down into their huddle and as I watched the one on top did a big ol' stretch and just settled in with wings and legs stretched out. Seriously cute stuff here!

The other thing that I tried out was to switch their feeder option.


When I arrived home last night I noticed that the aluminum tray was almost empty. I guess they enjoy the pan more than the special feeder. Even after I cleaned out the bedding and added more of their feed to the long feeder the little ones still went for the aluminum tray that I had originally had thrown grit into. Except yesterday morning I added some of their food, which they cleaned up! Well, I can only assume that they ate it...while watching them last night I noticed that one of them is a scratcher! So she was happily kicking food all over the place. Now they have two trays and no feeder and as of this morning they have accepted both as their feeders.

These are a little easier to get their bedding and droppings out of so I don't  mind so much, plus the long feeder was just a pain to deal with. I never could just really pop it open that easily. If only all of our problems were this easy to solve - and this was a non-problem.

I'm lovin' these little chickies though...one day we might be able to catch them and maybe hold them so that they will know that we aren't that scary!

Jersey Giant Fact Of The Day

According to the National Jersey Giant Club:

What Color Are They?

Black, Blue  and White are the colors recognized by the American Poultry Association. Splash colored Giants are usually a byproduct of breeding the Blue variety, though Splash should also breed true as a separate variety.

It really is quite early to tell, but I am so happy with this addition to what will be our Modern Homestead. I don't want to say that we are experimenting with these little chickies, because if things don't turn out that's a little costly with the feed and all that is attached to raising up these chicks to be healthy adult chickens. However, now that we have successfully planted and grew a Fall/Winter garden in addition to the regular growing season, added chickies for eggs (eventually) and later on we'll get some "meat" birds to fill the freezer. We'll be on our way to being more self-sufficient (with a lot of our food).

Think Big
Dream Big
Believe Big
and the results
will be Big

No comments:

Post a Comment