Monday, January 16, 2017

Brrr...

So, as of today we have had snow on the ground and colder than usual temperatures since January 10. It started snowing here the evening of the 10th and continued through the next day. The cold has been with us longer than we like and pretty much EVERYONE I have talked to is looking forward to a thaw and kids getting back in school! Six days of serious winter weather!! I'm okay with cold - IF I can still get around with jostling out a filling or two while driving down the road to the store. The roads are so bad right now!

After a pretty quiet weekend, we got out and about earlier today and when we returned I spied ice on the Hoop House - which was very cool.


Maybe tomorrow there will be less snow and ice in our area and I'll be able to check out what is happening with our crops. I'm afraid that maybe things may not have survived under the low tunnel. We couldn't have possibly known that we would experience winter in such a grand way.


I shouldn't totally write this off it is, after all, an experiment. If anything we might still have some purple broccoli just waiting for the right moment. We'll know by the end of the week.

We spent a little time at Starbucks and I started to get an idea of what veggies I want to grow and looked through my Johnny's Seed catalog. Hoping to get together with my partner in gardening crime to plan so we are not doubling up too much on any given item.

But first - there is talk of rain. If the temps are high enough maybe no freezing rain - which is just plain ugly. However there could be flooding instead. Which is better?

Are we having fun yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment