Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Crafty

Sewing has been something that I have dabbled in for over 25 years. Ever since my first project in high school when I had to sew from a pattern a piece of clothing. Which, by the way, was a skirt. It was just a project for a class and I didn't wear that skirt, because back then I didn't wear dresses or skirts.  I chose a skirt because it would be easy-ish and also included the requirements for the piece. A zipper and a buttonhole, neither of which I have done since then. 

It's been many years since that first real sewing project. Also, it's been a few years between then and my first Singer sewing machine. It was the most basic machine ever, but an upgrade from the sewing machine that my mom had. I sometimes wish that I had grabbed that machine when I left home, but who knew that I would be knee deep in fabric and creating projects here and there. 


It has been a few years since my last quilt project - so many that I don't remember what I made and who it was for. Working full time did not allow the kind of time I wanted to devote to sitting at my sewing machine. There were plenty of other things that seemed more important at the time, so sewing did not happen a whole lot. Every now and then I would get inspiration and found a quick project that involved fabric and minimal sewing so I didn't totally abandon my sewing machine or fabric. 

Last fall I was over at Craft Warehouse during my lunch break from work and I came across some cute 5x5 charm packs. After checking them all out and finding an Atkinson Designs pattern called Mini Brick Road (the full size Yellow Brick Road pattern is a fave). At that time I decided I would make special gifts for my two closest and dearest friends for Christmas. I love to create gifts for friends and I didn't realize how fast time would go and that there would be NO time to even set aside for these two projects. 

Now that I'm retired - have I mentioned that before now? It's pretty awesome... Anyway now that I have all sorts of time for all of the things, I can work on sewing projects now. This pretty table runner went together quickly and when I was ready to sandwich it for quilting I figured out that in my plethora of fabric there wasn't anything that would actually make sense as a backing. Another trip to Craft Warehouse? Dang! A half yard of a fabric from the same fabric line as the charm pack was all I needed, but I got a full yard to have extra for my stash, obviously.

Blah, blah, blah...ta-daaa - the quilt is done. 

Honestly, this quilt is not perfect and I forgot how to do the binding, but I'm not perfect. Perfection is over-rated anyway. Even so, I know that it will be appreciated and cherished because it was handmade and the colors and theme fit my friend perfectly. Happy dance! 

When I make gifts for friends and family it allows me time to focus on that person and to pray for them and be thankful for our relationship. This particular project didn't take a ton of time, but I did think about my friend a lot and that was a good thing. Part of that time she was on vacation and away, so I kept her close to my heart while working on this. I'm looking forward to giving this to her!

I look forward to my next project for another dear friend. The time that I can pray for that person will be time well spent. In farm life there is time for crafting and to spend thinking about and praying for friends. 

Farm life is a blessed life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment