Saturday, April 30, 2016

Less than a Green House, Mostly a Hoop House or...

a GROOPHOUSE

This has been the project of all projects. What I really wanted was something simple to get seeds started in early Spring.

My inspiration -


I liked the idea of this, but I really wanted something more walk-in like so, but not a real greenhouse. I don't know why I didn't want to do a real one. Maybe because it would still be sitting in in the original packaging somewhere in a corner. It is hard to say for sure if it would have gone quicker if we had actually gotten a green house - a decent one for that matter. I do like a DIY project though...so we started visualizing what I thought I might like.

The initial idea was more basic basically like the following only without the raised bed and gravel or bench. After the initial set up it sat for several months - weather related delay. It rained and rained and rained or we were on vacation which took away more time from the project.

However, I don't think that the delay was a bad thing because now the Groophouse looks like this -



The tub was a very late in the project idea...but I think it will be a good thing in the end.

In the beginning I thought that using row cover type material would be best. So we got some of the fabric attached and within a few days the winds whipped up and then we found out that it would not be a good choice. So it was on to Plan B. The only problem was we didn't have a Plan B.

After a few more days of thinking about it I got the idea to use Corrugated Plastic Roofing Panels


Ran the idea past Tom and BOOM idea accepted. This was a couple of months ago...maybe not that long ago. Anyway, some time had gone by and we were working on another DIY project so the Groophouse would have to wait a little longer.

Within the last couple of weeks The frame was leveled and made to look more like a project than it has for a while. Then the space that I want to use for "hot house" veggies was created. That was pretty easy we used our compost and added some fluffy matter and sand. It is good to go now!

The only problem now is getting the panels home from the Home Improvement store that is more than 5 miles from our house...

There WILL be an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment