Monday, July 9, 2018

July 9, 2018

After a week away from work I have returned to my regular routine. 

A week away from work is just about the best thing for my soul - more would be better! So much about life last week felt right. Working around the house, keeping our feathered and furry creatures alive and well and working the garden. With all the extra time at home I was able to do a little cooking and even got the Ice Cream Maker out and made a couple of batches of ice cream. 

On Friday after spending extra down time at home I decided to go for some coffee and be-bop over to Freddy's to pick up items for the second batch of ice cream. While I was at Starbucks an old friend had stopped in to pick up some coffee and we ended up chatting for a couple minutes. 

He had asked how we were doing and asked what was new. It has been at least a couple of years since I last saw him so he had NO idea that we were doing this farm thing - complete with the poultry and pigs...

To say the least he was surprised. 

Then after another minute or so he had declared that we wouldn't be able to go on vacation if we are going to have a farm.

Ummmm....what? How did the conversation turn to vacations?

Anyway, I declared that it didn't have to be that hard and then he had to bring up a story that related to farming and no vacations...blah blah blah....

Here is my point - vacations don't drive me. There are people that just live for the next big trip...destination, but vacations are not the thing that I live for. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the places that we have seen, the things that we have done and the memories that we came home with. However, traveling is also a giant hassle! 

So, no matter how much I try to convince another person that I'm not that interested in vacations - what I realize is that they (my old friend) just isn't listening. As I think about this conversation it occurs to me that he doesn't really know who Tom and I are, he only remembers who we were. 

Our values are different now.  I don't long for the latest this, that or the other thing. I don't have to have an exciting vacation on the calendar. I just need to be with my hubby and our animals and that brings me so much joy. It's a lot of work, but it's good work. Having our chickens, ducks, pigs and the goose to take care of keeps me happy. As well as busy, but a good busy. 

Sometime during the Great American Farm Tour one of the homesteaders (either Jill Winger or Shaye Elliott) said something that clicked with me...

When we started our farm with chickens I couldn't imagine enjoying what we are doing as much as I do. Now that we have added Rex & Fiona and more ducks life has become even more fulfilling! Not only do we have fresh eggs and veggies to enjoy during the week we are outside every single day - rain or shine. Feeding something - feathered or furry.

The other thing that has happened is we are connecting with friends and neighbors. That's the whole purpose of this farm. Whether it's a long time friend or an acquaintance from Starbucks - we are creating meaningful relationships. 

If I take a vacation I'm going to miss meeting a new friend and/or neighbor. Why would I want to take a vacation from making new friends and strengthening other relationships?

No comments:

Post a Comment