Sunday, June 24, 2018

Broody Hen Update

If you missed my last post on the Broody Hens go HERE to catch-up...go ahead...I'll wait :)

This was Friday morning
As of yesterday two of the hens were back to normal. In fact, whenever I went to look in on them, they looked very much like they would like to rejoin the rest of the flock. They should spend at least one more day in there. Just to be sure.

The third lady is VERY persistent and might not break even today. I am not sure how we'll fish her two friends out without her escaping. We could just remove Miss Broody and release the other two back into the arena.

I suspect that she has been overtaken by her biological malady the longest of the three. It would be so much easier to release three non-bloody girls back to their friends.

Main reason...Egg Production is DOWN!

Oh, I did find out something new - our escape artist, Dora, laid an egg at the neighbor's house! That would be kinda crazy, she is only 4 months old! She's an over-achiever!

I think it is plausible though, over the past couple of weeks I have observed the following things in the Java's behavior:

  • A couple of them have been a little more interested in the nesting boxes
  • They are becoming more interested in the oyster shells
  • They are making the "I wanna lay and egg" sound
  • The neighbor found an egg in his lawn (this one is a dead giveaway)
Even this morning, once the chickens were released from their nighttime jail one of the little girls was looking into the nesting boxes they way that the big girls do....hmmm...

Very Interesting.

Broody girls or not, Farm Life is the Best Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment