Monday, February 11, 2019

Social Media



This morning as I was getting myself ready for work I was thinking about how many of the homesteaders we follow are on the Facebook. That's right I said the Facebook...

As much as I would like to follow them on the Facebook I can't (or maybe I won't). Why is that?

Well let me tell you....a few months ago while at work I encountered a person who visited the station on a couple of occasions. The first time this person came in there wasn't anyone available to talk to her about the "study" that she was conducting. My suggestion to her was to call at a later date and schedule to sit down with one of the firefighters and I handed her one of my business cards. And off she went. Oh yeah...got rid of a snoopy-snooperson...

Her request was odd and I didn't get a good vibe from her. After nearly 25 years, sometimes you get that feeling. So when she came in again, I had to chit chat with her while she waited for someone to come to the office.

Then it happened...she turned to me and asked if she could ask me about my activity and stuff since she could see on facebook that I had done 5k & 10k races. AND as it turns out - this "study" was not even an official thing for a college class or anything. It was an Independent Study.

So with the weirdness of it all, I looked at her and said "NO - I would rather not to be a part of the study."

Within two days I deactivated my account.

Okay, so I don't care if someone is going to look me up out of curiosity - my account was private so not much information was out there really. Just don't tell me that you have looked me up. Then ask me about doing an Independent Study - ESPECIALLY if I don't know you...end of conversation.

Honestly, I don't miss the junk that often shows up on facebook. However, with so many of the homesteading YouTuber's out there that are also on Facebook - I am wondering if maybe I should re-create an account just for homesteading purposes without the crazy.

I keep thinking maybe, but maybe might be no. Actually it probably is no. I don't know...maybe could be possibly. No...definitely no....

Okay, back to regularly scheduled programming...

No comments:

Post a Comment