Tuesday, January 10, 2023

January 10, 2023 - Days ????

Not gonna lie, I've been struggling a little bit the last few days. 

As much as I want to create a routine that makes sense, I find that it falls apart the moment I have a mental moment and think that something is not right. Seriously I second guess myself all of the time! I guess I want to do so much I forget that there is a lot of days in a year and I don't have to do EVERYTHING in one or two days. 

Also, yesterday (1/9) I went to the Driver's License office located across town :( only to leave with a replacement driver's license and not a Enhanced Driver's License. I don't even want to get into that whole thing, it's just too irritating. I basically drove all the way across town (10+ miles) from our home, just to go home without doing what I set out to do. My trips are basically no more than 3-5 miles from our house and anytime I have to be in traffic in a part of town that I don't drive in on the daily I'm annoyed. Mill Plain Blvd from I-205 to NE 136th Ave has a million traffic signals and about 2 million drivers. Have I mentioned how much I dislike driving? Anyway, that set the theme for the day AND my appointment was late morning which cuts my day short and man I hate wasted time. 

The weekend was alright though. We got all sorts of things done - and by we I mean Tom. 

Here are a couple of the things that were done. First the drakes (Lewy & Uncle Gordon) needed a new roof tarp for their rickety shelter. Those tarps were purchased on Friday from Harbor Freight. Of the three that I bought this is the only one that was installed.

I like that the new roof doesn't stand out like a bright blue tarp. That would definitely make our farm look janky. The other two tarps can wait until this coming weekend. 

Project #2 was to replace the bottom step going down to the basement. Actually the whole staircase could be replaced, but that would be a giant project. So, since the bottom step totally busted and everything around it was crumbling away. Actually, I'm surprised that the steps have held together for the 25 years that we have lived in this house. They really are not great. So here is that repair...


It works, but the distance from step to step is slightly different and that will take some time to get used to. Just a side-note. This step was made from an old piece of lumber that was a homemade waterbed frame many years ago. A bed that we replaced with a regular mattress not long after we were married. 

Today (1/10) I am planning to hang around the house to do inside chores. I think I probably will have to leave and go to the feed store at some point today, maybe around lunch time. By that time I'm pretty sure I'll be over doing laundry. 

However, this is the one project I did this morning, removing the compost ring in the garden and freeing what little compost I have. The hens will enjoy the brussels sprouts that I tossed on the pile a couple of weeks ago. The only reason why I composted them is because I knew the pigs wouldn't eat them and I wasn't sure that the hens would like them either. Well, they do, so I set the compost free and the hens will have something to do today.


This year I'm going to slap together a different compost "bin" with a few of the pallets we have laying around the farm.

So I suppose I should continue with my chores for the morning. 

Enjoy the day wherever you are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment