Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Taking a break

This week I am going to take a break from posting here and focusing on getting things done around the house. 

There is a bit of a problem with my sewing area. Not so much the area, but my machine. It seems that the straight stitch setting doesn't want to work anymore. Then I figured out that my 1/4" seam allowance setting wants to go in the opposite direction. Which means the seam allowance is a perfect 1/4" on the left side of the needle. So it still works, but it also is on the "wrong" side. I mean I could probably get used to it, but it would take a lot of mental gymnastics for me to unlearn doing seams on the right side of the needle. I would rather not have that happen. 

My initial sewing cabinet set up
The kitchen island now cutting table

Final Set Up

So, my sewing machine is a Husqvarna Viking Lily 545. I have really enjoyed this machine. A LOT!
Honestly I can't remember when I got this machine. It has been at least 20 years since I bought it, possibly longer. 



This machine has been so great! I'm just sad that I didn't get to use it nearly as much as I would have liked to. For the first several years after I got this machine I could only sew occasionally. Weekends and sometimes after work. Even then there were more times that I had other things to do than to sit down and stitch some fabric together to make a quilt. Now that I'm retired I made/finished a few quilts and made a bunch of tote bags for OCC. Even then, I only sat down  to sewing during the cool months - when outside work was not as desirable. 

The idea that this machine has a couple of problems, minor ones at that, makes me feel like my days with this machine are numbered. Sure I can use a couple of tricks to make so I can keep this machine, but when do I call it quits with this machine? When more things break down? The reality is that I don't use hardly any of the stitch functions on this machine. Although I have used a couple here and there for fun. 

I'm torn, but I might have to give this machine up. The one good thing is that I can take it to Montavilla Sewing in Portland and have it looked at for free. If the circuit board isn't the problem, then maybe I will opt for a trade in. I've been researching sewing machines and checking out prices. I'm not interested in paying over $1,200 for a new machine - this one cost that much. What I need is something that offers the basics and a couple of Special Features. Unfortunately the special features on machines is mostly standard. I've landed on the Juki Exceed F300 Home Deco. I might make a trip over there tomorrow. I'm not 100% sure yet. Portland is not my most favorite place to go to. 

So, I'll be "away" for a the next few days. Maybe a little longer, I still feel like I'm catching up around here and need the extra time to get things in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment