Monday, May 28, 2018

Favorite Things - Part 1

There are several items that are my go to while doing chores. Everyone has their favorites so I'm going to share mine here...


We have had this particular cart for a few years. Originally we got it because it is easier for me to handle as there are four wheels which makes it an "Easy Roller" as this one is called. Unlike the wheelbarrow I can pull this along instead of having to push it. And hey...four wheels! I used this cart for gardening purposes for almost as long as we have had it. The tray near the handle made it easy to carry small tools and seed packets and a beverage for myself. The plants and other items would go into the bucket part.

Once the hoop house was built I would put a bin of potting soil and haul it around. That made transplanting seedlings into pots much easier. Some times I would mix up my potting soil with compost in this cart and then transfer to a bin. It was a great for gardening for sure.

This cart was mainly used during the spring and summer months - the main gardening season. Then it would be stored in one of the outbuildings at the end of the season. When the next gardening season rolled around this would also be rolled out. It never occurred to me that gardening could happen during other times of the year.

Things changed a little when we started up the chicken operation. In the last year we went from just growing a garden to raising chickens in addition to the garden. The focus shifted and while I was still using the roller cart for the garden - that purpose didn't last long. 

Once the chickens were out on pasture full-time we were carrying feed containers back and for them from the garage to their pen. That was getting old pretty fast. One day I decided to load up the cart and there was no turning back. All of the supplies are kept in the cart which makes chore time more efficient. In the last week I have begun to prepare the chicken feed the night before by soaking the pellets in water in another favorite thing known as the 5-gallon bucket. By doing this I don't HAVE to lug the bin of feed out to the chicken pen. Just the bucket and a couple of other items. This leave room to haul out the feed for the pigs and ducklings as well as the bread for the piggies. 

I sometimes think that having two of this cart would be ideal, but then I don't want to spend the money on another one. If things get more challenging, then I might have to consider my options. For now it works for the chicken chores and it easily can be used for gardening purposes if it's REALLY necessary.

Farm Life Is the Best Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment