Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Who Needs A Dining Room Anyway?

The tour continues...

Once upon a time a few years back the second upstairs bedroom was my very own sewing room. It was a spare bedroom/sewing room for quite a while and then the day bed was sold and I got to use the space for sewing for a long time. It worked great for a while and I enjoyed working on projects upstairs by myself. I was set up with a TV and could have shows going in the background while crafting. Over the years I started to feel a little isolated and it was super cold upstairs and during the winter months and it took forever to heat up. 

Fast forward to 2015/2016 the walk in closet that we had was more of a hallway turned into a closet. It was hard to keep clean and organized. After many years of living with that mess I suggested that we turn the spare room into a dressing room. That idea was well received and we planned to start the conversion. However, that meant that my sewing stuff needed to go somewhere else. 

That natural somewhere else was the main floor. and the only space that made the most sense was the dining room or living room. After setting up my brand new Arrow Sewing Cabinet in both the Living Room or the Dining Room at different times I decided that the dining room was the better location, mostly because I could be near a window and close to the kitchen. Until this year my sewing adventures were minimal as I was working full-time which made it easy to store stuff on the cabinet since it is just another horizontal surface when it is all closed up and my machine is stored away.

Now that I am retired I have decided to set up "shop" in the dining room and leave my machine out and ready to go. I also have relocated the ironing board to the same space so I don't have to use the table top version. I have resurrected so many projects in the last couple of months that I can keep busy for a good long time.  
I finally finished the quilt on the wall - after 17 years of it sitting around.
View from the Living Room into what used to be the Dining Room
The space still needs some help, but I can make changes over time
There are still some things that need to be organized, but that will happen in time. For the past year or so I have been storing some fabric, miscellaneous tools and patterns on a card table in our front entry. We are not a front door household, back door guests welcome! 

Anyway, this space has been quite comfortable and I look forward to spending a lot of time here sewing and creating fun quilts and other crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment