Monday, March 13, 2017

Staycation - Day 1

It's day one of Stay-cation or day three if we start the count on Saturday instead. I have been looking forward to having a week off from the crazy. There is so much to accomplish.  This weeks looks like it will be quite soggy with lots of rain. Today did not disappoint, it rained and it rained - a lot!


Today included finishing up what I had intended to do yesterday and to work on the Chick-Shaw.

Yesterday I had intended to make some soil blocks for a variety of items that I wanted to get going. One being Lavender. That turned out to be the only tray I got done and on top of that I ran out of seeds and didn't have enough for all of the blocks. I decided to go ahead and just leave those blocks alone - they'll go back into the soil bin when I get the plants into pots. 

This afternoon I worked on the rest of the seeds. I included the "mystery seeds" that I found in my hoop house yesterday afternoon. Later I would find out that my tricksey gardening pal, Mary, left them for me a few weeks ago. I'm not very good about surprises...but this one is allowed. 

I am guessing that Mary got these during her trip to Uwajimaya
Seven trays - total
The tray that I did today included these two seed packets as well as a couple of seeds from Johnny's Seeds (my most favorite place). The Johnny's seeds were Dragoon (Mini Romaine) and De Milpa (Tomatillos). There were enough of the tomato seeds to do 8 blocks so I continued with that for all four seed packets. 

I love the photo of all these trays. The Hoop House is just packed with all of the things that we need to get seeds started. My estimation would be that I start half of the vegetables that go out into the garden and the rest are of course direct sow. When everything that is currently in my living room is big enough they will also go out into the hoop house. It looks like there isn't a lot of room, but there is plenty of room opposite the bench. Yeah, there is a planting bed, but there are shelves and...

I. WILL. MAKE. IT. WORK. 

Anyway, I finished that task SO FAST...that I had to improvise the rest of the time I was outside...in the rain...did I mention the rain earlier?

While I figuring out what to do, Tom was working on the chick-shaw floor by rolling out the chicken wire and getting it attached. That process will be a different post. 

Since I just LOVE working in the rain (sarcasm) I decided that it wouldn't be a bad thing to work on pulling more weeds from the low tunnel crops. Especially the weeds that were flowering. We do not need to go to seed. That is not allowed! It was quite mudding and just plain ol' gross! I focused on the plants in the front of the tunnel which included pulling up some of the field grass that got very thick. Those clumps were so hard to pull had to get a shovel and try to dig up as much as I could. 

Yeah, I don't recommend yanking out field grass. It's not that easy. 

Also, my semi-successful Chinese Cabbage was starting to bolt, so I pulled those up. So easy compared to the grass!! The cabbage didn't look the photo in the catalog, but then it isn't very often that something turns out just like the picture in a catalog or whatever. I'll try growing them again this summer.

At least we used some of the cabbage in bami not too long ago.

Good looking plants!
Even if there are no Flower Sprouts by the time we start transplanting veggies or sowing seeds into the garden, I know that these will grow and I'll just try again this summer and see if they do better to the point that I get a bit of a harvest. Mostly I like the idea of something new that is a cross between to different vegetables that I really like. 

When the seeds were delivered, there was a technical sheet included with the shipment, but it probably was recycled. Oh well. The good thing is that Johnny's has a library of informational sheets on the website. So I sat down and did a quick search and looked up several different vegetable sheets and printed them. Even if I didn't order seeds from them, I think the information will be useful when I go to grow those veggies.

We ended out day with cutting some stems of daffodils...


No comments:

Post a Comment