Thursday, August 18, 2016

It Feels Like a Friday

So I may as well post my Friday Foto! Oh and a bonus too. We were out pokin' around in the garden the other night and I took a look at my cabbage - there are a total of three. They are growing quite nicely - this is my first time growing them. I had a total of 4 plants, but one of them just didn't want to do anything. I'm happy that the 3 that were left behind actually grew into something!

This year we decided to go ahead and plant the potatoes in the traditional way - into the soil. Last year I tried a new method and it was just okay. I read in an Old Farmer's Almanac Magazine a method that didn't require a container or planting straight into the garden. Rather, just place each potato start on top of the soil or grass or wherever you want to grow them and cover with straw. So we did and we continued to cover the plants until they were at least a foot tall and then just let them go. In the end the yield wasn't that impressive and the potatoes were not that plentiful.

So when we went out a couple of nights ago we decided to do more uprooting and the clump that came up had all sorts of beautiful potatoes hanging off of it. We will never go back to the straw method....EVER.

CABBAGE!
Red Norland Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment