Tuesday, February 20, 2018

My ButcherBox Review

Buy ButcherBox and get a bonus! Yep, if you want great tasting meat...go for it! You'll get free bacon and a discount on your first order!!

Just to get an idea of what this ButcherBox thing was all about I went to YouTube and searched for some videos, but quickly became bored because the people making the videos were so lame and I didn't get a sense of what they chose because they never said so. The one video that I did watch was some guy who said that he and his girlfriend ended up cooking up their meat all in one week...so it wasn't worth it to him.

Okaaaay...ever hear of portion control?!

I ordered my first Butcher Box last week on Valentine's Day and received it over the weekend. To be honest, the best thing besides the meat is the insulated bag!

The box that I ordered is the $129/month box and will contain anywhere from 8-11 lbs of meat. You have choices! Mixed Box (Chicken, Pork, Beef), Beef & Pork, Beef & Chicken, All Beef and Custom. Then you choose how often you want to receive a box (once a month or every two months) and how much meat you'll "need" anywhere from 24 to 48 meals. Here's the cool part - Add-Ons: From burger patties to steaks, you get to add up to two each of the add-on packages of meat(s) of your choice. This adds anywhere from $7 to $25 depending on what you choose and the quantity.

I went basic, because I'm skeptical that way and wanted to see the quality before jumping in and going crazy. Within the ultra-cool insulated bag was a variety of items - I went with the mixed box of Beef, Chicken and Pork.

The goods
Cool Bag!
Our box contained:

2 pkg of Pork Chops (each had two chops)
2 pkg of Strip Steaks (1 per pkg)
2 pkg of I don't remember the steak cut (1 per pkg)
2 pkg of Ground Beef (1 lb each)
3 pkg of Boneless Chicken Breast (2 breasts per pkg)
1 pkg Smoked Uncured Bacon

Once I got the box opened I found that the meat was frozen solid and I was pretty impressed with the amount of meat that was included in our box. It was more than I had expected. The Primal Pastures box, although it was good, did not have as much, so to me it cost a bit more for the amount that we received. If I'm going to do this subscription box thing, I want to get the best deal for the money that is being paid out. So far...ButcherBox is a good deal. It helps that an acquaintance of mine gave me the low-down before I made the big decision. The other thing about the ButcherBox is that there was only meat. Primal included a quart of bone broth and a can of wild caught tuna. All of the meat from Primal is gone now, but I have yet to thaw the broth and use it. Mostly because I have so much broth in the freezer right now. Don't get me wrong, Primal Pastures is great and you can order whatever strikes your fancy off of their website. As far as box options go, I'd have to say ButcherBox is better if you are  going to choose the most basic option.

If there wasn't a special offer right now, I would not have ordered this box. A $20 discount AND a package of bacon for the first order...SCORE! When I placed the order I opted for the Every Two Month delivery option with the thought that I would cancel my subscription. Now that we have cooked up some of the meat I would have to say "We'll see." It's pretty convenient getting a box of meat delivered to your door! This along with the Imperfect Produce that we get every couple of weeks makes it less daunting going to the grocery store.

Until we get the meat chickens going AND the pigs, buying meat this way will be a temporary thing. However, until then, I will enjoy the tasty cuts of meat that arrive on the back stoop.

Go HERE if you want to try a box yourself! Think Bacon...mmmm BACON...

According to the website the meat is:

"ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free range organic chicken and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of us as the neighborhood butcher for modern America."

No comments:

Post a Comment