Friday, January 5, 2018

Happy New Year...

Yeah, yeah, I know...today is the 5th. I've been a little under the weather...

Starting today I am going to post about what I have been thinking about our mini-farm. I'll tell you now...I think a lot of things about our farm!

This morning I was thinking about how blessed we are that we are STILL getting eggs everyday! That's right...eggs. We get a few as 2 and up to 4 every single day. The little Australorps are doing a great job!


On New Year's day we got to use a dozen of those eggs for brunch....and it was so good! We invited a few of our favorite people over for Huevos Rancheros, Refried Beans, Cornbread and other yummies. It was a nice way to start off the New Year, sitting around the table and visiting with friends - long time friends and newer friends too.

Anyway, eggs...baby...we are still getting eggs! Every now and then one of the big girls (Jersey Giant) will lay an egg, but it's usually the little girls. I have read that Australorp chickens are very good layers and that one laid 364 eggs in one year!

The thing about chickens is that they require a minimum of 14 hours of daylight to keep egg production up. So the Jerseys are not keen on laying right now and we'll forgive them. The littles are doing a pretty good job, even 2-4 eggs a day is a lot for us actually. The days are very slowly getting longer, so the Jersey girls will be laying before too long!

Note to self: Always keep a few Australorps in the flock.




No comments:

Post a Comment