Friday, January 19, 2018

Building Up A Library

Books, I have always liked having books...novels, non-fiction, how-to's you name it. For awhile we would go to the local bookstore on Friday night to hang out and thumb through the latest magazines, bargain books...new releases and everything in between. Ever since our two favorites closed - Barnes and Noble and Borders we don't really go out on Friday night anymore - Amazon Prime Video has filled that void now. That in addition to the fact that we are both early risers, which means bedtime comes early too.

The one thing that I have been thinking about is creating a space that would be specifically for researching, planning and looking at a variety of literature on gardening, animals and homesteading. I don't like homesteading per se, but the books I have looked at have excellent information on a variety of farmy things.

Once all evidence of Christmas was packed up and put away, I decided it was time to get my space put together. I've got an okay set up: a couple of easy chairs, the coffee table and my bookcase. The bookcase was emptied of all the books that were not related to gardening, animals and homesteading...and then the few books that I do have were put on the shelves. There are a few special issues of Mother Earth News that could also go into the bookcase instead of in the magazine rack on the floor.

The library is looking sad....


This just makes me want to go and look for more books whether they are instructional or just have a good story...I might have to start checking out the second hand stores for gently used books. At one time I did have more garden books, but eventually got rid of them. For awhile it appeared that my dream to be a flower farmer wasn't going to go anywhere. So anything remotely related to gardening was donated. That also included an early edition of Eliot Coleman's The New Organic Grower book - sadness. 

OOP - just ordered Welcome to the Farm by Shaye Elliott of the Elliott Homestead. She's a "local" living in north central Washington state. She was also featured on the Great American Farm Tour so you can check that out...



While I sit in my new space and dream about the future and what we need to accomplish this year, I'll be waiting for my book to arrive ~ it should be delivered Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment