Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Never, Have I Ever...

Gotten a catalog for living creatures - poultry to be more specific.


A couple of weeks ago I was pokin' around on the Meyer Hatchery website and decided to have a catalog sent. Sure I can look at the catalog online, but this way I can add this to my sad farm library. Also, it's fun to thumb through a catalog...or magazine as I like to call it. 

If I were to do a mail order I might consider Meyer Hatchery as they have a large variety of poultry to choose from. From the various brown egg layers to white and "olive eggers" and "easter eggers." There are some even mor exotic birds available as well like Egyptian Fayoumi and White Sultan

Turkey for the holidays - Yep! Ducks & Geese - Yep & Yep! Game birds, hatching eggs and all sorts of accessories and supplies to get your chicken operation set up.

A couple of my favorite listings:

Leann's "Adopt Me" Bargain - 

These are basically the runts that were "hiding" in the incubators after a hatch. The catch with this collection - they could be anything including bantams or turkeys. Could you imagine? The chick that keeps growing turning into your holiday dinner centerpiece?

Personally, if I were to order a special collection/pack it would be the Production Pack. This option is all female and all excellent layers. The breeds that might be in this one would be: Golden Buff, Barred Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, Buff Orpington, Black Australorp or White Leghorn. An order of 15 will set you back $50.42 which really isn't that bad of a deal actually. 

Here's a bonus:

The Fry Pan Bargain (meat bird section). This is a ALL-ROOSTER assortment. According to the catalog:

"This all-rooster assortment may include one or more of any large rooster in our catalog."

If you were inclined to go this route it is VERY affordable! 
  • 1-5 $1.10
  • 6-15 $0.99
  • 16-25 $0.83
  • 26-49 $0.66
  • 50-99 $0.50
  • 100+ $0.34
As much as I would like to order this pack...I think I will stick with a different broiler breed for my first batch of meat chickens.

Order yourself some chicks! Well, maybe get a place for them to live first...then place an order!

No comments:

Post a Comment