Monday, January 29, 2018

Seed Savers Exchange

In all the years that I have been gardening, it had never occurred to me to save the seeds. Most of the time, if I had grown flowers I would just let those seeds drop and then they might come up the following season. Vegetables? Forget it, we just pulled the plants up at the end of the season and heaped them into the compost.

A couple of years ago I grew some beans for drying and that worked out pretty well, although I didn't have enough to make a meal let alone store in the pantry. However, I saved what I harvested, let them cure out a little and stored them. I thought I would try planting them last season, but the garden really sucked last year so they didn't make it into the garden. There is always this year I guess. Here is what killsme...Tom's mother gave him some seeds that she saved from her favorite tomatoes - seeds she saved! I guess these seeds came from tomatoes that she grew 8+ years ago. She been saving seeds for these tomatoes for the past eight years?! What the WHAT?! We never KNEW that she saved seeds.

Okay, so I'm getting a sense that seed saving really isn't a big dealio...just gotta do it!

Enter Seed Savers Exchange.

A couple of weeks ago I was checking out the catalog and the website. Then on a whim I joined SSE on Thursday...now I am a paid up member! Somehow I landed on the Member Grower Club page. This is where they list a few seeds for members for FREE (just pay shipping). Today, those seeds arrived and I got a bonus pack of seeds. This must be a fluke to have received my order so quickly. I don't think it's nearly as quick from Johnny's - another favorite actually. In a couple of weeks or so I'll be placing a real order for a couple of collections to get started this season. I've narrowed the selection down to the Seed Savers Favorites and the Cut Flowers Collection. As a member I will receive a 10% discount. So that's another nice little perk for joining up. Check it out...

FREE SEEDS!
The Nasturtium is a bonus and will be a nice addition to my garden this year...and for years to come! It's time to get intentional and start saving seeds. Go HERE to check out the benefits of saving seeds...

Then join up and order some seeds to save!

No comments:

Post a Comment