Friday, March 16, 2018

Making a Difference

Here's another video from the Great American Farm Tour - I liked this one a lot, this guy had a lot of different things growing in his front and back yards. Granted, this was in Florida and it was also one year ago. One year ago today we had a VERY NICE DAY. After several days of rain, showers, downpours...we had sunshine! 

I want a food forest...(she said in a whiny voice)


Yesterday I was cruising through YouTube checking out what videos were recently uploaded and I came across this title: Can One Family Make a Difference? Once I read that and saw whose video it was attached to, the only family I could think that the family would be the Rhodes family.

We started watching their YouTube channel a couple of years ago...back when they were doing their 100 Days of Growing Food challenge. The truth of the matter is that Tom is the one who had discovered them. At first I wasn't impressed...homesteaders? I don't know. I kept with it though and after awhile watching their videos was part of the evening routine and I loved the family! Seriously their Chiddlers are pretty cute!

It's because of those early videos that my dream to do something more with our property started to percolate. So much so, that soon after we started watching their vlogs I promptly visited their website and signed up to receive emails and also saw that we could get the plans for the chick-shaw. The plan was to get some chickens sooner than later...as it turns out it was after they started on the GAFT when we got 10 chicks from the feed store and started on our own journey ourselves. Before the chicks came I took a staycation and we worked on building the coop. Let me tell you - there are about a million pieces that go into making that thing! We used Justin's model of having a guard goose and since we were told he would need a pal then the duckling happened too.

Then things got a little crazy with watching all of the really cool farms that were on the tour. The one that really stood out was John Suscovich - you may have read about him in an earlier post. He's all about the chickens so that was a no brainer...I got the book, then a sweatshirt for Tom and a mug and another sweatshirt for me.

Anyway - back to the original question: Can one Family Make a Difference?

Yes, they can and boy did they ever. This tour really opened up my eyes to the different types of farms that are out there and just how many people are homesteading. The bottom line is that all of these people are really no different than me. They had a vision and they went with it...and that is an encouragement to me. There were a couple of people that actually got into a homesteading lifestyle a little later in life, so that was good for me to see. Not that I'm that terribly old, but I'm not in my 30s or 40s and getting started on my dream. My dream did start a few years back, but the timing is just right now.

So, if you want to check out the series of videos that were created as a tribute to the Rhodes start with this one:


From this one I believe that you will see the other ones.

As of this moment, I am in vacation mode! Bring on the projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment