Thursday, December 1, 2022

November 30, 2022 - Day 3



This day was filled with all sorts of non-farm activities. Well, the normal feeding/watering the critters is an everyday thing so there's that. I set aside time today to visit with my former co-worker(s) at the fire station, help at the food pantry and run errands. Nothing terribly exciting, but it was my day.

My visit with my former supervisor was nice. I hadn't stop by the station for almost a year. Although, we did get together once for lunch. I think we might have to do that again. Anyway, we have been keeping up with each other via text or email, but my visits to the station just didn't fit into the schedule most days. While I was there I got to visit with the Chief, one of the Assistant Chiefs and one of the Paramedics who is on light duty due to being pregnant with her 2nd child. It was a nice visit and I miss seeing my friends there, but I am very happy with my decision to retire early. 

After leaving the fire station I be-bopped over to the church food pantry to help restock the shelves/refrigerators/freezers with food items. It has been very pleasant working in the pantry - now that one person who thought they were in charge is no longer helping out. 

With the food pantry stocked up again I went to the grocery store to pick up a couple of things to restock our own pantry/kitchen. I'm very annoyed since my hens have pretty much quit laying eggs and I have had to buy eggs. At the store. No bueno. Actually the hens lay an egg now and again, but when I go to retrieve it, I find that they have pecked a hole in the egg. Super no bueno. 

Now, here's how the evening chores went. Everything was going just fine, but the hens were being totally stupid and either were still hanging out with the pigs or refusing to go into their houses. The youngest cockerel & pullet (Aquila & Priscilla) both did not have an interest to go into their house. Seems that the tray of food that I gave them in the morning was a big fat problem. You would have thought that it was going to jump out at them. I ended up removing that and the Cockerel decided to go in, but his partner was not convinced and kept running around. To top things off, while trying to get another hen into the coop, Joody (mom to A & P) escaped from the coop and just started running around all over the place. I let her get her ya-ya's out and went around to gather up the bowls from the pigs. After a few more minutes it was dark enough and Joody was getting extremely anxious to get back into the coop. Aquila finally went into his house, Joody was in the coop - now it was time to get Priscilla. After a few minutes of trying to get her to go into ANY house I gave up. By that time Tom was home (!) and I had him help me get the last hen to go in. All I can hope is that tonight will not be a repeat of last night. 

Oh, the pigs weren't helpful, but that's too much to tell and I don't want to revisit their shenanigans.

We are back into the typical Pacific NW weather now. There has been quite a bit of rain this week and it's cold enough for some sleet mixed with rain. I don't mind the rain, but when it is so cold, I'm not a fan. I just have to continue on since the critters won't feed themselves. The garden cart had a good amount of water in it from all the rain overnight. 



Hoping that the pigs 'n poultry behave tonight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment