Friday, December 30, 2022

December 29, 2022 - Day 28

As we continue to move toward the new year, I am still in limbo. Not wanting to start something new and still creating a new routine. 

The day went pretty well yesterday until evening chores. Pretty much all the hens and our turkeys went into their houses because they were ready. And hungry. The ducks were compliant as well. However, Joody's babies decided to be super stupid and did not want to go into their shelter or the chick shaw. I chased them around for a while, getting more and more irritated with them. Then I decided to just lay off for a little while and take care of other tasks until it got dark enough for those two ding-dongs to go into any house.

As I observed them before I got them locked in I noticed that they REALLY wanted to go with the hennies. So after I finished up getting the pig food prepped for Friday morning I tried one more time to get them to go in. All of the hens were already on their roosting bars and settled in for a quiet night. That allowed me to open the door enough for the Aquila and Priscilla to go in. It only took one trip around the chicken tractor and they ran into the coop. Since I didn't see Priscilla go in I had to shine the light into the coop to see if she happened to slip in, she did. I continued to observe them for another minute or so to see what the hens would do.

Priscilla hopped up on a roosting bar, but after another moment or so she was back down again. She and Aquila were trying to find their place among the "big" kids and they were being picked on a little bit. They have to learn where they fit in sometime. They may have grown up around the hens, but becoming part of the flock is a process. We'll see how long this takes. 

I'm planning to list Aquila on craigslist in a few weeks. He really needs his own flock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment